REDUCE THE USE
By 2020, S’well aims to help displace 100 million plastic bottles from entering landfills, waterways and other undesirable locations with the Million Bottle Project –a sustainability program to promote minimizing single-use plastic bottle consumption.
Inspired by the statistic that individuals use 167 plastic water bottles each year with less than one-third being recycled, the Million Bottle Project helps to demonstrate that we can create big change in the world by making small changes in our everyday lives.
Join us by taking the pledge to reduce the use today, tomorrow and every day.
STATS TO KNOW:
- 9 billion tons of plastic have been produced since the 1950s (Science Advances)
- More than 480 billion plastic bottles were sold in 2016 across the world. By 2021, this is expected to increase to 583.3 billion. (The Guardian – Euromonitor)
- 8 million tons of plastic enter the water from land each year. (National Geographic)
- By 2050, the ocean will contain more plastic by weight than fish. (Ellen MacArthur Foundation)
- 50 billion plastic water bottles were used in 2015 in the U.S.* (New York Times – Euromonitor)
*One person can displace 167 bottles a year.
TAKE THE PLEDGE
I pledge to reduce the use – today, tomorrow, and every day.